A lot happens in 12 months, and it’s shocking how many moments slip by that you don’t remember, even the ones that seemed so remarkable as they happened. When I started thinking back over 2015, I was surprised by how much I couldn’t remember, given how much happened this year. This is why I want to do more writing and record moments when they happen, so that I can remember them.
So just for funsies, I came up with a list of a few of my favorite things and highlights from this year. Everything on this list is associated with a myriad of memories of places I have been, new friends I have made, old friends I have reconnected with, and experiences that will stay with me forever, so here are a few of my favorite things from 2015:
- Favorite Artist: Sia
- Favorite Movie: Inside Out
- Favorite Book: I re-read all of the Harry Potter books this year, so that’s a given. However, I’m currently reading a book called Nicholas and Alexandra about Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, and so far it’s awesome.
- Favorite Travel Destination: Ireland
- Favorite TV Show: Madam Secretary
- Favorite Production I worked on: La Fanciulla del West at Des Moines Metro Opera
- Favorite Show or Live Music Performance I attended: Andrew Mann and his band at the Porterhouse Brewing Company in Dublin
- Favorite Purchase: New MacBook Air
- Favorite New Hobby: Knitting
- Favorite Headline: Obama finally re-opening relations with Cuba
- Favorite Day Shared with Friends: Going to the Harry Potter World in Orlando with some seriously awesome ladies.
- Favorite (Hardest) Lesson Learned: Not everyone will like me.
- Favorite Gratitude Practice: Thinking about all of the incredible friends and family in my life. Seriously, I can’t believe how lucky I am to have so many AMAZING people in my life. It overwhelms me with gratitude.
- Favorite Dream Come True: Visiting Ireland and Russia, which had both been on my bucket list for a long time.
Highlights of 2015:
- EuroTrip2015, which included England, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Norway, and Russia.
- All of the new places I visited in the USA this year: Sarasota, FL – Denver, CO – Rocky Mountain National Park, CO – Sonoma Valley, CA – Pittsburgh, PA – San Antonio, TX – Salt Lake City, UT
- Becoming a member of the American Guild for Musical Artists, the labor union that represents performers, directors, and stage managers working in opera and dance, as well as figure skaters.
- Getting more opportunities as a calling stage manager as opposed to an assistant stage manager.
- Being a part of making this video.
- This. Just…… that.
As I write these lists I am also thinking ahead to 2016 – my goals, hopes, resolutions, dreams. In many ways, 2015 has been a difficult year, but in many other ways, it was far better than I could’ve imagined. I have a particularly good feeling about 2016, everything I know at this point about the coming year is incredibly exciting, and I can’t wait to see how everything unfolds.
Happy New Year!